|Applies To||RSA Product Set: NetWitness Logs & Network, NetWitness Endpoint|
RSA Product/Service Type: Core Appliance
RSA Hardware: Dell Server
|Issue||When booting an RSA NetWitness Dell appliance it hangs with the error message below.|
Initializing firmware interfaces...
Attempting to get into the Dell Server BIOS System Setup menu [F2] or the BIOS Boot Manager [F11], or attempting to set the appliance to boot from a hard disk via the iDrac still results in the appliance hanging with the same message.
|Cause||Dell servers pull information about each device to which it is connected or has in its system and can hang during this process.|
|Resolution||Try the solutions below to troubleshoot the issue.|
- Sometimes leaving the Dell Server for as long as 45 minutes, then the server will get past this message. Not a preferred solution, continue with the other below actions.
- Disconnect all USB devices connected to the server, in particular any USB drives. Also remove any USB keyboard and mouse, they can be reconnected after getting past the message.
- Power off the Server and unplug both power cables from the power supply units (PSUs).
Hold the power button down for 20-seconds to clear any residual current (trickle charge) from the motherboard. Re-connect the power cables and boot. This clears the motherboard cache that may prevent the server from getting past this message.
- If there is any newly inserted PCIe card in the server then remove those cards, and try boot. A faulty PCIe card, or a card unqualified by Dell can prevent the server from getting past this message.
- Dell has updated the server firmware to reduce the occurrence of this message. Update the Dell Server (BIOS, iDrac, PERC) firmware to the latest approved for RSA NetWitness Dell Servers.
|Notes||For details on the latest firmware version for each Dell Server type and instructions on how to update, refer to article entitled RSA NetWitness Availability of BIOS & iDRAC Firmware Updates.|