000016849 - SecurID Appliance is prompting for root password after a 'fsck' check

Document created by RSA Customer Support Employee on Jun 14, 2016Last modified by RSA Customer Support Employee on Apr 21, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Article Content

Article Number000016849
Applies ToSecurID Appliance 3.0
Red hat Linux Advanced Server 4.0
rPath Linux
fsck
IssueAppliance is prompting for root password after a 'fsck' check
The appliance was restarted while the Authentication Manager services were still running (perhaps due to a power outage). When the appliance is rebooted or started the below error appears:

Checking filesystems
/contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/:Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
/:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
     (i.e., wihout -a or -p options )
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** When you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

Typing a password or Control-D does not help.

Resolution

The appearance of root password prompt after the reboot has been reported as a known issue with reference 123512. This can be resolved by accessing the Appliance with the help of external media.  

Note- the original process below uses a command-line interface for Linux. If you prefer to use a Graphical interface, or have newer hardware (PowerEdge 210 or 710) see the Update section further down.

1.  Please download an ISO image from https://sftp.rsa.com/human.aspx?username=support&password=Password1&arg01=625969749&arg12=downloaddirect&transaction=signon&quiet=true

2.  Using the appropriate image and burn the contents of the CAP ISO onto a CD/DVD. An example of the file structure after burning to CD/DVD may look like the following:

03/26/2009  04:56 AM    <DIR>          images
03/26/2009  04:56 AM    <DIR>          isolinux
03/26/2009  04:56 AM    <DIR>          rPath
03/26/2009  04:56 AM                89 .discinfo
03/26/2009  04:56 AM             7,450 public_keys.gpg
03/26/2009  04:56 AM             1,103 TRANS.TBL
               3 File(s)          8,642 bytes
               3 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

3.  Restart the Appliance and keep hitting the key F11 to boot the Appliance from the CD/DVD.  (note: if prompted for setup password use 'rsabios')

4.  Type "linux rescue" immediately after the boot before it actually starts the Q&A section.

5.  Select the language "English US" and select yes for question on network configuration.

6.  At the network configuration details, press Spacebar to switch from DHCP to a fixed IP address, then enter the IP address followed by the Netmask.

7.  At the next screen, enter the network gateway, followed by the DNS servers.

8.  When prompted about mounting a file system, choose the ?Skip? step.

9.  Type fsck /dev/sda5

Note: On Appliance 3.0.x sda5 is the main boot partition.  The main data partition is sda1.  You may also need to run fsck /dev/sda1 if the issue is on that partition

fsck/dev/sda1

10. The above command will run without prompting a root password.

11. Once the command is completed type exit and allow the Appliance to shutdown.  Remove the DVD and reboot the appliance.

12. Login with emcsrv account and confirm that you can now access the files. 

Notes

To determine if the system is 32 or 64 bit use the commands below.

Note:  The 3.0 Appliance currently use 32 bit OS.  For example the output of the uname -a command shows:

[root@shaman ~]# uname -a
Linux shaman.csau.ap.rsa.net 2.6.24.7-9.smp.gcc3.4.x86.i686 #1 SMP Tue Jul 15 13:33:03 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

x86_64 GNU/Linux indicates a 64bit kernel running. If you use see i386/i486/i586/i686 it is a 32 bit kernel

You can also run the following command:

# getconf LONG_BIT

See also:

Appliance V3 asks for root password for maintenance     Appliance V3 asks for root password for maintenance

UPDATE:  The newer appliances (R210 or  R710 ) uses newer hardware that requires drivers not contained in the older .iso image from above.   A newer distribution of Linux is required , and this process will also work with older hardware. The exact process to fix the disk will change depending on the particular distribution of linux, the point is to do it when booted off of a different media, and that the appliance's main partition will be UNMOUNTED during the repair.  Here is an example that has worked with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on R210 hardware.
Download Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 32-bit .iso , (don't choose newer ones unless you are familiar with the differences) , use the .iso file to create a bootable CD.
Boot from the CD with the process from the sections above (you may need to use F11 and a password of rsabios  ). 
Select English  , Try Ubuntu , it will start the GUI
On  the left, look for an icon that looks like a folder, it is called the Home Folder Select it.
  Look under Devices for the  /  device .   Double-click it to open it.
Optional: If you want to try to find and get a backup file before repair:
Browse to the directory  /var/cap/backups  .  If you find a backup, and have a way to copy it elsewhere  (such as a USB memory stick) do so.  Click the USB memory stick icon to tell the system to eject it, and  Remove the USB memory stick.   Close the folders.
Look under Devices for the / device, right-click properties .  Under the Basic tab, note the information. Close.
On the left, Dash Home (round Ubuntu symbol on the icon). In the Search field,  type Terminal, select the Terminal icon.
Type mount  (enter)  it will show various mounted filesystems, look for one that looks something like:
    /dev/sda1  or /dev/sda5 , the specific mount name can vary depending on the hardware. Note the mount name for your system.
Under the home folders icon, select the / device, right-click, and unmount .
Dash Home (round symbol on the icon). In the Search field,  type Terminal, select the Terminal icon. 
to scan the file system:
sudo  fsck  -y  /dev/sda1         (or whatever was noted earlier for the filesystem mount)

Legacy Article IDa46069

Attachments

Outcomes