|Applies To||Affected Versions: 3.6.X|
|Issue||Reboot or power up an appliance, the console is "stuck" at a gray screen.|
The system may or may not be accessible from an SSH console, the Aveksa services and UI are not up:
1. Incomplete boot because of timing issue in this case the appliance is accessible
via ssh see KB-1169 -ACM / database startup fails after reboot for instructions on resolving this issue
2. Networking issue, - the system is unavailable via ssh, and usually unable to ping
|Resolution||Resolution for item #2:|
A. Reboot into single user mode:
1. From the console in front of the box reboot
2. When you should see the GRUB boot notification, press "space bar"
3. Select the line that starts with kernel and type e to edit the line.
4. Go to the end of the line and type single as a separate word
(press the [Spacebar] and then type single). Press [Enter] to exit edit mode.
5. Back at the GRUB screen, type b to boot into single user mode.
B. Login as the root user:
1. Use the root or admin account (contact Aveksa Support if you require assistance with this)
2. From the GUI right click and invoke a terminal window
3. You are presented an unimpressive but much needed root console with
the ever popular prompt of "#"
C. Temporarily disable the database and Aveksa by running the following commands:
chkconfig --level 2345 dbora off
chkconfig --level 2345 aveksa_server off
chkconfig --level 2345 aveksa_agent off
chkconfig --level 2345 sshd on
D. If a network issue is suspected run the following commands to reconfigure the network
modifynetworksettings.sh <newIP> <newNetmask> <newGateway>
setnameserver.sh <DNS1> <DNS2>
E. Reboot and test the networking
o The nameserver (DNS) info is written into /etc/resolv.conf
o The networking is located in /etc/sysconfig/network (hostname / gateway)
o To disable/enable a NIC on bootup edit the associated (ifcfg-XXX) file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory and change ONBOOT= to "no" and reboot
o After the issues are resolved re-enable the database and Aveksa services to auto-start using these
commands as the root or admin user:
chkconfig --level 345 dbora on
chkconfig --level 345 aveksa_server on
chkconfig --level 345 aveksa_agent on
The attached PDF file contains this information formatted for easy downloading and printing