000014167 - Web Server Will Not Start Up After Applying Service Pack 2

Document created by RSA Customer Support Employee on Jun 14, 2016Last modified by RSA Customer Support Employee on Apr 22, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Article Content

Article Number000014167
Applies ToLAA
webserver.vmi
Java Virtual Machine
IssueWeb Server Will Not Start Up After Applying Service Pack 2
I've installed Envision 4.0.0 Service Pack 2. After rebooting, the NIC Web Server service says "Starting", but never fully starts. How do I fix this?
ResolutionIn cases where this issue has happened, the cause of the issue has been the Web Server has run out of memory when trying to load the Java Virtual Machine. With service pack 2, there was an increase from 512 MB to 768 MB of memory requested by the NIC Web server service.

Note: If the NIC Web Server service is in a starting state, you may need to set the service to disabled and then restart to be able to manage the service.

There are two ways to address this issue.

1. Modify The Web Server Configuration File
-------------------------------------------

This method requires editing a variable in the \etc\webserver.vmi configuration file.

Look for this line:

Option=-Xmx768m

Change it to this:

Option=Xmx512m

While this method works, it is not the recommended approach because we've found that the Web Server works more efficiently with the higher value.

2. Flip The Large Address Aware Bit On The NIC Web Server Executable
--------------------------------------------------------------------

This method replaces the webservice.exe executable with a modified version that has the Large Address Aware bit turned on. This permits the executable to access an area of memory larger than 2 GB so that the Web Server will not run out of memory when starting up.

I've placed a copy of this modified file for you to download here:

"ftp://ftp.network-intelligence.com/techsupport/Patches/4.0.0/Large Address Aware Web Server"

Login credentials:

User Name: user
     Password: In1stPlace!

To install the new file, stop the NIC Web Server service, backup \bin\pi_webservice.exe (recommend moving to the desktop), and then copy this file in. Once there, restart the NIC Web Server service and once it is Started (not Starting) start the NIC Alerter.
Legacy Article IDa49494

Attachments

Outcomes