|Applies To||RSA ACE/Server 5.1.1 (no longer supported as of 7-14-2006)|
Microsoft Windows 2000
System hardened using Templates
|Issue||Alternative to running RSA ACE/Server 5.1 patch installer for installation issues on hardened systems|
Procedure for manually patching RSA ACE/Server 5.1
|Resolution||This is a workaround for hardened systems where RSA ACE/Server 5.1 Patch 1 will not run to completion. This workaround assumes you have the appropriate rights to copy the files to the directories, but that should be a fairly simple issue to overcome without undoing the hardening.|
In brief, you would run the patch install against an ACE/Server installation on a test-bed that has not been hardened. Then copy the installation files to the production system.
There are some Windows Registry settings which are updated with the Patch, which will need to be updated manually.
Make sure the pathing to /ace is the same on both systems, as scripts have the path assigned to them during the installation. The test-bed does not need to have the same hostname or IP Address as the production system.
1. Patch the test-bed system
2. Preserve the /ace/data directory from the production system. You can do this simply by stopping the ACE/Server and renaming /ace directory (Preserving the entire installation directory structure).
3. Copy the entire installation from the test-bed to the production system into the same path so your new /ace is where your old /ace used to be. Do not overwrite the original files, you may wish to roll back if you encounter any issues, and you will need the contents of the /data directory whether you roll back or not.
4. Copy the Production /ace/data directory which you preserved and it's entire contents to the new /ace/data directory (replacing only the files in /ace/data)
5. Rename the /WINNT/system32/sdsrvmsg.dll file on the production server
6. Copy the sdsrvmsg.dll file from the /WINNT/system32 directory of the test-bed to the same directory on the production server
7. Using a Registry Editor such as Regedit, go to the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > SDTI > ACESERVER > CurrentVersion >
8. Change the following keys to these values:
Version = 5.1.1
Revision = 35
Patch = 1
9. Restart the Production server
|Legacy Article ID||a18649|