000013315 - How to integrate multiple Oracle devices into Envision that have same SID

Document created by RSA Customer Support Employee on Jun 16, 2016Last modified by RSA Customer Support Employee on Apr 21, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Article Content

Article Number000013315
Applies To

In order to configure oracle client to integrate with ODBC data source, you need to select Local Net Service Name Configuration in the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant

In the oracle configuration assistant, the service name refers to the SID of the database, while the Net Service name is referring to the data source name in the Micrsoft ODBC data source

In the oracle configuration assistant you can configure to connect to multiple database

An illustration of the definitions is show below

System Name
Host Name
IP Address
Remark
DBA Notes
Aserver110.3.73.161
AIX
version=9.2.0.5.0;  SID=PROD; port=1521
Bserver210.252.26.73
AIX
version=10.2.0.2.0;  SID=PROD; port=1524

Note that both of the database have the same SID, i.e: the service name

IssueYou have multiple oracle servers to monitor. However, they all have the same SID, i.e: the service name you see in the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant
Resolution  To ensure the Microsoft ODBC data source to able to identify both of your database probably, you need to have a distinct Net Service name when you configure in the Net configuration assistant. This is referring to step 2p of the RSA envision Device configuration guide for Oracle, A suggestion for the name would be the same as the system name of your databases. (i.e: A or B from above example).

Then when you create the ODBC data source in ODBC data source administrator, it will ask you for the Data source Name (Step 2Y). Use the Net service name (A or B) to distinguish the 2 connections. Note that for the Server field, use the same as Data source name (A or B).

Legacy Article IDa42192

Attachments

Outcomes