|Applies To||RSA ClearTrust Agent for Microsoft IIS|
Microsoft Windows 2000
|Issue||Unable to install or uninstall RSA ClearTrust plugin for Microsoft IIS using "Add/Remove Programs"|
The InstallShield installer fails to install or uninstall the agent for a variety of reasons
Error: "Failed to lookup ClearTrust installation information in system registry"
|Cause||The InstallShield program creates a key in the registry for use with ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. If the underlying installer is damaged or overwritten by a different version, the installer may not install the new version of the agent, nor may it uninstall the old or new version of the agent.|
|Resolution||To correct this issue, follow these steps:|
1. Using regedit, navigate to the "Add / Remove Programs" registry key for the offending program. The key is located off of the following branch in the registry:
NOTE: The actual name of the key may be the name of the program itself or a randomly generated hex number
2. Search the registry from this point forward looking the "DisplayName" key that matches the exact description of the software as displayed in the "Add / Remove Programs" dialog. For example search for "ClearTrust/SecureControl IIS Plugin".
3. Delete the parent key of this entry; it is either the name of the program or a hex number. For example:
4. Reinstall the original Agent again (matching the Agent details you just removed). The install should complete without an error.
5. You should be able to uninstall the Agent again without an error
6. If desired, install the newer version of the agent
NOTE: Always uninstall the old agent version before installing a new version
|Workaround||New agent being installed after old agent uninstalled incorrectly|
Attempt made to uninstall the old agent while IIS running
|Legacy Article ID||a16897|