|Applies To||RSA Product Set: RSA NetWitness Logs & Network, Security Analytics|
RSA Product/Service Type: Puppet, Head Unit / NetWitness Server, NetWitness Appliances, NetWitness Virtual Machines
RSA Version/Condition: 10.4.x, 10.5.x, 10.6.x
O/S Version: 6
|Issue||When running `puppet agent -t`, the puppet agent produces the following error (which can also be found in /var/log/messages):|
Error: Could not request certificate: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution
|Cause||This error is produced on hosts where the puppetmaster server has not been correctly defined in either /etc/puppet/puppet.conf or /etc/hosts.|
Note: This issue is most likely to occur when attempting to reprovision a host to re-add it to the puppet-based trust model.
- In /etc/puppet/puppet.conf, the line is in the 'agent' section and starts with 'server':
classfile = $vardir/classes.txt
localconfig = $vardir/localconfig
server = puppetmaster.local
- In /etc/hosts, ensure that puppetmaster.local is defined.
- On the NetWitness Server which hosts the puppetmaster service, /etc/hosts should start with the following lines where the puppetmaster.local is defined in the IPv4 loopback (shown in green)
# cat /etc/hosts
# Created by NetWitness Installer on Mon Dec 28 23:14:57 UTC 2015
127.0.0.1 <nw_server_hostname> localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 puppetmaster.local
::1 <nw_server_hostname> localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
|Resolution||To resolve the issue, follow the steps below.|
- SSH to the host where the issue is being seen.
- Determine if puppetmaster.local is missing from /etc/puppet/puppet.conf or /etc/hosts. Run the following commands to examine these files:
- If puppetmaster.local is not present in /etc/hosts, add an entry.
- If /etc/puppet/puppet.conf is missing the server line, edit the file using: vi /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
- Add "server = puppetmaster.local" as per below screenshot if this is missing (doesn't need to be the last line but does need to be under the [agent] section)
If you are unsure of any of the steps above or experience any issues, contact RSA Support and quote this article number for further assistance.
|Notes||This issue does not occur in RSA NetWitness Platform v11.x (as puppet has been replaced by salt and chef).|