If large compliance reports have to generated for IPDB or Warehouse, the Reporting Engine disk space might get consumed quicker than expected. In such cases, you can mount any external storage such as SAN or NAS for storing reports.
The directories that tend to fill up disk space are resultstore and formattedReports under the Reporting Engine home directory. It is recommended to move only these two directories to SAN or NAS and replace the original locations with soft links pointing to the new locations. It is also recommended to leave the remaining directories in the local disk itself for reliable and high i/o performance.
Perform the following steps to move the Reporting Engine's disk space to external storage assuming that the Reporting Engine home directory is located at /home/rsasoc/rsa/soc/reporting-engine/ and the external storage is mounted under /externalStorage/:
- Stop Reporting Engine service as a root user.
- Switch to rsasoc user.
- Change to RE home directory.
- Move the resultstore directory to a mounted external storage. Type the following command and press ENTER:
mv resultstore /externalStorage
- Move the formattedReports directory to a mounted external storage. Type the following command and press ENTER:
mv formattedReports /externalStorage
- Create a softlink for resultstore. Type the following command and press ENTER:
ln -s /externalStorage/resultstore /home/rsasoc/rsa/soc/reporting-engine/resultstore
- Create a softlink for formattedReports. Type the following command and press ENTER:
ln -s /externalStorage/formattedReports /home/rsasoc/rsa/soc/reporting-engine/formattedReports
- Exit the rsasoc user.
- Start Reporting Engine service as a root user.
Note: If the external storage is offline, you cannot perform the following tasks:
1) Execute Reports or Reporting Alerts
2) View existing Reports or Reporting Alerts
However, you can create new Reporting objects such as Reports and Charts, and access Charts and Live Dashboard created for charts. Therefore, you must ensure that the external storage is reliable and has the required space.
Additionally, if you want to store reports beyond 100 days, change the retention configuration appropriately in Step 2: Configure Reporting Engine Settings.