At times when we download file we see there are issues during installation.
To ascertain that the file downloaded is intact and there is no corruption we should execute following command.
tar -jtvf on .tar.bz2 files
- v – Verbosely show the .tar file progress.
- f – File name type of the archive file.
- j - filter the archive through bzip2
- t - list the contents of an archive
- tvf - List all files in archive.tar verbosely.
unzip -t on .zip files
- -t test archive files. This option extracts each specified file in
memory and compares the CRC (cyclic redundancy check, an
enhanced checksum) of the expanded file with the original file's
stored CRC value.
In the output it will show if there is any corruption of file.
Now that we have ascertained that there is no corruption we might want to transfer this file to another box. We should keep in mind that if we are transferring an installable it should be send in Binary Mode.
Once the transfer is complete you can run md5sum Command against the file transfer and the original file. If the hash code is same for both files it means the file is intact and you can run your installation with ease.
Hope it helps!