Analysts can filter the results in the Investigation > Events view and, by searching for events or selecting the service on which to view events, set the time range, and query meta data.
If you opened the Events view from a Navigate view drill point, the view opens to the Detail view of events by default. Analysts who do not have permissions to use the Navigate view can query services directly from the Events view. There are several configuration options to filter the information displayed in the Events view.
Filter Events Displayed in the Events View
To filter the data displayed in the Events view:
- In the Security Analytics menu, select Investigate > Events.
The Events view is displayed.
- To select a time range other than the default (Last 3 Hours), in the toolbar, click the time range field and select a value. For example, Last Hour.
The Events view is refreshed with the selected time range.
- To enter a query for the selected service and time range, in the toolbar, click Query.
The Simple Query dialog is displayed.
- If you want to enter a simple query using the auto-complete feature to select meta and operators, do one of the following:
- Click in the Select Meta field and select a meta key from the drop-down list.
- Select an operator from the drop-down list in the Operator field.
- Type a value to match in the Value field.
- Select Network or Log data, and click Apply.
The matching data is displayed in the Events view.
- If you want to enter a more complex query based on your knowledge of the meta and operators:
- If you want to select a query from a list of recent queries:
- Select Recent.
The Recent Query dialog is displayed.
- Select a query and click Apply.
The matching results for the query are displayed in the Detail View in the Events view. Notice that the breadcrumb reflects the query (tcp.dstport exists, in the example).
- In the breadcrumb, you can click any of the crumbs to display the Query menu. You can insert a new query before a crumb, and append a new query to the end of breadcrumb. After each edit in the breadcrumb, Security Analytics refreshes the results.
- Select Recent.
Search for Events in the Events View
You can search the currently displayed data in the Events view by entering a search string in the Search field. The search string can be a regex (Regular Expression) or it can be a simple text search. Investigation - Search Options provides detailed information on these search types.
To search within the currently displayed data in the Events view:
- To execute the search, place the cursor in the Search box, type a search string, and press Enter or click Search.
The search results are displayed in the Events view. Events that match the search criteria are displayed in the Event view grid. In the Details view and List view, matches are highlighted in the Details column. In addition, when searching RAW, matches are highlighted in the Log view Logs column. Below is an example of the search results for the search term India in the Events Detail view. Note that search matches are not highlighted in any Event Reconstruction.
- If you want to narrow the search, change the query and time as described above in Filter Events Displayed in the Events View.
- If you want to stop the search and return to the Events view, click Cancel.
Any results that are displayed remain.
- To clear the search box and return to the normal Events view, click the X in the search box.