NetWitness Platform manages licensing through a Local License Server (LLS). Each client appliance is shipped with an installed LLS. This topic provides instructions for offline synchronization of the Local License Server (LLS) with the online repository. For more information on the functional description of the LLS, see Entitlement Capability Implementation.
If you are unable to register the NetWitness Server online, you can download an offline capability request in NetWitness Platform and upload that binary request to the myRSA Portal. If the NetWitness Server is not connected to the Internet, you can perform offline synchronization of entitlements through the View Server page in myRSA.
Before implementing the NetWitness Platform entitlements capability offline, ensure the following
- The NetWitness Server is registered to myRSA (https://my.rsa.com/) and entitlements are mapped. Internet access is not required for offline synchronization.
- An Offline Capability Request has been downloaded from the NetWitness Platform UI to be uploaded to myRSA.
- An Offline Response has been uploaded to NetWitness Platform that was received from myRSA within 72 hours.
Download an Offline Request for Submission to myRSA
To register the server using an offline capability request:
- Log in to the NetWitness Platform user interface.
- Go to ADMIN > System.
The License Details page is displayed.
Select the Settings tab.
The Settings page is displayed.
- In the Step 1. Download Offline Request panel, click Download.
A file called OfflineCapabilityRequest.bin is downloaded to the local system.
Login to the myRSA Portal at https://my.rsa.com/ with your user credentials.
Click on a service which needs to be licensed.
Under Device Management, click Upload Capability Request.
The Upload Capability Request dialog is displayed.
Click Choose File and browse the local file system to find the file downloaded from the NetWitness Server. Select OfflineCapabilityRequest.bin.
The filename is displayed next to the Choose File button.
The license data in a .bin file format is downloaded. The .bin file contains the data you entered as well as information about any entitlements that have been added to the NetWitness Server. If the server has just been added, there are no entries under Add-Ons. The server is registered and you can now map entitlements as described in the following sections.
- After you download the .bin file from myRSA, login to NetWitness Platform UI to upload the .bin file on the Settings page. For more information, see Upload an Offline Capability Response to NetWitness Platform.
If the NetWitness Server is not connected to the Internet, you can perform offline synchronization of entitlements through the View Server page in myRSA. To upload an offline capability response (response.bin) file saved to the local file system from myRSA:
- Follow the steps 1 to 3 mentioned in the Download a Capability Request for Submission to myRSA procedure.
- Login to the NetWitness Platform user interface.
Go to ADMIN > System > Licensing > Settings tab.
- Browse and select the response.bin file so that it is displayed in the Upload File (bin) field.
The entitlements are uploaded to NetWitness Platform and the licenses added to the grid in the Licensing Details tab. They are available for licensing appliances.
After you have uploaded the entitlements, you can verify the synchronization by performing any one of the following:
To view results in NetWitness Platform, go to ADMIN>System>Licensing > Licensing Details tab. The individual product entitlements that have been pulled down to NetWitness Platform are displayed in the Available/Total column.
- Within the myRSA interface, you can see the status for entitlements changed to In Sync.
When a new license is added, to map the view with the new license, click Refresh Licenses.
Refreshing your licenses performs the following behind-the-scenes tasks:
- Restarts the LLS server to ensure the latest licenses are pulled down from the central Flexera server.
- Associates any unlicensed service with a valid license (if available).
- Replaces expired or Out-of-the-Box license with valid licenses (if available).