NetWitness Platform manages licensing through a Local License Server (LLS). Each client appliance is shipped with an installed LLS. This topic provides instructions for offline synchronizing the Local License Server (LLS) with the online repository . For more information on the functional description of the LLS, see Entitlement Capability Implementation .
If you are unable to register the NetWitness Server online, you can download an offline capability request in NetWitness Platform and upload that binary request to the DLC Portal. If the NetWitness Server is not connected to the Internet, you can perform offline synchronization of entitlements through the View Server page in DLC.
Before implementing the NetWitness Platform entitlements capability offline, ensure the following
- The NetWitness Server is registered to DLC (https://download.rsasecurity.com/) and entitlements are mapped. Internet access is not required for offline synchronization.
- Download an Offline Capability Request in NetWitness Platform for submission to DLC.
- Upload an Offline Response to NetWitness Platform that was received from DLC within 24 hour.
Download a Capability Request for Submission to DLC
To register the server using an offline capability request:
- Log in to NetWitness Platform UI.
Go to ADMIN > System.
The Admin System view is displayed.
Select the Settings tab.
The Licensing panel is displayed.
- In the Download Offline Request panel, click Download.
A file called OfflineCapabilityRequest.bin is downloaded to the local system.
Next login to the DLC Portal at https://download.rsasecurity.com/ with your user credentials.
The DLC menu is displayed.
Under Device Management, click Upload Capability Request.
The Upload Capability Request dialog is displayed.
Click Choose File and browse the local file system to find the file downloaded from the NetWitness Server. Select OfflineCapabilityRequest.bin.
The filename is displayed next to the Choose File button.
The server is created in DLC, and the server information is displayed in the View Server dialog. This information includes the data just entered as well as information about any entitlements that have been added to the NetWitness Server. If the server has just been added, there are no entries under Add-Ons.
The server is registered and you can now map entitlements as described in the following sections.
Upload an Offline Capability Response to NetWitness Platform
If the NetWitness Server is not connected to the Internet, you can perform offline synchronization of entitlements through the View Server page in DLC. To upload an offline capability response (response.bin) file saved to the local file system from DLC:
- Follow the steps 1 to 3 mentioned in the Download a Capability Request for Submission to DLC procedure.
- Login to NetWitness Platform UI.
Go to ADMIN > System > Licensing > Settings tab.
- Browse and select the response.bin file so that it is displayed in the Upload File (bin) field.
The entitlements are uploaded to NetWitness Platform and the licenses added to the grid in the Licensing Details tab. They are available for licensing appliances.
After you have uploaded the entitlements, you can verify the synchronization by performing any one of the following:
To view results in NetWitness Platform, go to ADMIN>System>Licensing > Licensing Details tab. The individual product entitlements that have been pulled down to NetWitness Platform are displayed in the Available/Total column.
- Within the DLC interface, you can see the status for entitlements changed to In Sync.
When a new license is added, to map the view with the new license, click Refresh Licenses.
Refreshing your licenses performs the following behind-the-scenes tasks:
- Restarts the LLS server to ensure the latest licenses are pulled down from the central Flexera server.
- Associates any unlicensed service with a valid license (if available).
- Replaces expired or Out-of-the-Box license with valid licenses (if available).