This topic provides instructions for the second step of the NetWitness Suite entitlement process, synchronizing the NetWitness Server with the online repository and downloading mapped entitlements to the Local License Server (LLS).
Before you perform this step, the NetWitness Server must be registered to Download Central and entitlements must be mapped. If you are doing online synchronization, NetWitness Suite must have access to the internet as well as have a designated nameserver (DNS). Internet access is not required for offline synchronization.
Verify That the Server Has a DNS
To verify that the server has a DNS:
Do one of the following:
- Manually enter the
/etc/resolv.conffor static IP environments.
- Set the
staticin the management IP configuration.
- Manually enter the
Restart the network services using the following command:
service network restart
- Verify the capability to reach external systems via a hostname. Update with FNO-OD hostname.
Synchronize with Download Central
There are two methods of synchronizing NetWitness Suite with Download Central: automatic (online) and offline. You can also force online synchronization by refreshing the view of LLS entitlements in the Performance Licensing tab.
Synchronize Automatically (Online)
By default NetWitness Suite is configured to synchronize with Download Central at regular intervals. No action is required.
Refreshing your licenses performs the following behind-the-scenes tasks:
- Restarts the LLS server to ensure the latest licenses are pulled down from the central Flexera server.
- Associates any unlicensed service with a valid license (if available).
- Replaces expired or Out-of-the-Box license with valid licenses (if available).
To refresh the view of available files on the Local License Server:
- Log on to NetWitness Suite.
- Go to ADMIN > System.
Select Licensing in the options panel.
The Licensing panel is displayed.
- Select Refresh Licenses from the Licensing Actions drop-down menu.
If the NetWitness Server is not connected to the Internet, you can perform offline synchronization of entitlements through the View Server page in Download Central.
- In the View Server page, select Download Capability Response.
A prompt asks you to save a response.bin file.
- From a system with access to the NetWitness Server, log on to the NetWitness Server at https://<NW-IP>, where <NW-IP> is the NetWitness Server IP address.
Navigate to the Licensing panel and select the Settings tab.
In the Manage Local License Server Offline section, click Upload Response.
The Upload Offline Capability Response dialog is displayed:
- In the dialog, select the response.bin file so that it is displayed in the Upload File (bin) field.
- Click Upload.
To verify a successful synchronization, do one or both of the following:
To view results in NetWitness Suite, refresh the Performance Licensing tab.
The individual product entitlements that have been pulled down to NetWitness Suite are displayed in the Available/Total column.
- Within the Download Central interface, you can see the status for entitlements changed to In Sync.