This topic provides instructions for administrators who are configuring the settings that apply to all Investigations on the NetWitness Suiteinstance being configured. The settings for configuring and tuning behavior of NetWitness Suite Investigation are available in the System view > Investigation panel. These settings apply to all investigations and reconstructions on the current instance of NetWitness Suite.
Configure Navigate, Events, and Context Lookup Settings
- Go to ADMIN > System.
- In the options panel, select Investigation.
The Investigation Configuration panel is displayed.
- In the Navigate tab, in the Render Threads Settings field, select the maximum number of concurrent meta key values that are loaded by a single user in the navigate view. Click Apply.
- In the Navigate tab, in the Parallel Coordinates Settings section, set the maximum limits for meta values scanned and meta value results that can be included in a parallel coordinates visualization. For better performance, these are the recommended settings: Meta Values Scan Limit -100000 and Meta Values Result Limit to 1,000-10,000
- In the Events tab, in the Event Search Settings section, set the maximum numbers of events scanned and event results displayed when an analyst is conducting an event search in the Events view. Click Apply.
- In the Events tab, in the Reconstruction Settings section, set the limits for the amount of data processed in the reconstruction of a single event. The default values are 100 maximum packets and 2097152 bytes. If analysts are seeing slow performance when reconstructing sessions in Investigation, the reconstructing settings may need adjustment. Click Apply.
- (Optional) In the Events tab, in the Web View Reconstruction Settings section, enable the use of supporting files in a web view reconstruction, and configure the additional settings to calibrate web view reconstructions. These include the time range (in seconds) to scan for related events, the maximum number of related events to scan, and overrides to Reconstruction Settings for use with web view reconstructions. Click Apply.
- In the Context Lookup tab, manage mapping of Context Hub meta types with meta keys in Investigation. You can add or remove meta keys to the list of meta types supported in Investigation by Context Hub. Procedures associated with this tab are provided in "Manage Meta Type and Meta Key Mapping" in the Investigation and Malware Analysis Guide.
Clear Reconstruction Cache for Services
Under Reconstruction Cache Settings, administrators can clear the cache for one or more services. For example, the administrator can clear the cache for a single Broker, a Broker and Decoder, or all connected services. These are a few examples of causes for stale cache being used in a reconstruction.
- The downstream services may have their sessions invalidated or data reset. As an example, if Investigation is browsing a Broker and a downstream Concentrator or Decoder has a data reset, the meta and session data for the investigating service (Broker) does not match the content if the downstream service has reset and repopulated. The reconstruction in Investigation shows content from cache, which does not match the real content. Even if the Decoder is offline, content is still displayed in the Broker reconstruction. Clearing cache on the Broker causes the NetWitness Suite to reach out to the Decoder and an error is returned because the Decoder is offline.
- Another case where cache may be stale is when a service ID for a downstream service changes. This can happen when exporting, importing, deleting, and adding services to NetWitness Suite because NetWitness Suite can reuse service IDs. In this case, clearing the cache on the Broker causes NetWitness Suite to request data from the services.
To clear reconstruction cache, do one of the following:
- To clear cache for one or more services, select the services and click Clear Cache for the Selected Services.
- To clear the cache for all listed services, click Clear Cache for All Services.
The reconstruction cache for the selected services is cleared. NetWitness Suite sends a request for data to the services.