A dashboard is a group of dashlets that give you the ability to view in one space, the key snapshots of the various components that you consider important. In RSA NetWitness® Platform, you can compose dashboards to obtain high-level information and metrics that portray the overall picture of a NetWitness Platform deployment, displaying only the information that is most relevant to the day-to-day operations.
By default, the NetWitness Platform default dashboard is displayed when you log in to NetWitness Platform, and it is populated with a few useful dashlets to get you started with your own customizations. The dashboards for all NetWitness Platform components are available to add to the default NetWitness Platform dashboard or a custom NetWitness Platform dashboard.
You can view dashboards and reports on different areas of interest depending on your user permissions. You have the option to select a preconfigured dashboard, import a dashboard, or create your own custom dashboard. The dashboards help you to quickly and easily view reports. You can configure your dashboards to display the information that supports your workflow. This topic explains the high-level tasks that can be done when you are setting up a dashboard.
If the Monitor view is your default landing page following logging in to NetWitness Platform you always see either the default dashboard or the currently configured dashboard immediately after completing the login process. To return to the dashboard from another NetWitness Platform component, go to MONITOR > Overview.
The dashboard title reflects the currently active dashboard; for example, Default Dashboard.
Dashboard Selection List
You can access preconfigured and custom dashboards on the dashboard selection list. When you select a dashboard, its title is displayed below the NetWitness Platform toolbar.
A dashboard has:
- The dashboard toolbar
- The dashboard title and the dashboard selection list.
The dashboard toolbar is available next to the title of the selected dashboard. The dashboard toolbar allows various operations on dashboards and dashlets.
The Default Dashboard
The default dashboard is configured to display specific dashlets in specific positions. The default dashboard serves as an example of dashboard composition and a starting point for customization.
- You can customize the information on the default dashboard by editing, adding, moving, maximizing, and deleting dashlets.
- After modifying the default dashboard, you can restore the default dashboard () to its original layout.
- The default dashboard cannot be deleted or shared.
Selecting a Preconfigured Dashboard
On installation of NetWitness Platform Suite, the following preconfigured dashboards are automatically activated and are available to you:
- Operations - File Analysis
- Operations - Logs
- Operations - Network
- Operations - Protocol Analysis
- RSA SecurID
- Threat - Hunting
- Threat - Intrusion
- Threat - Malware Indicators
You cannot perform the following actions on a preconfigured dashboard:
- Edit a dashboard
- Export a dashboard
- Share a dashboard
- Delete a dashboard
Enabling or Disabling Dashboards
When you enable or disable a dashboard, all the dashlets within the dashboard are enabled or disabled along with the associated charts, unless they are used in any other dashboard.
NetWitness Platform modules can display only those dashlets presented in the Manage Dashlet dialog. The main dashboard offers all NetWitness Platform dashlets. This is an example of currently available dashlets.
Enable a Dashboard
If you select a dashboard that is not enabled, a masked screen is displayed.
To enable one or more dashboard(s):
Navigate to the dashboard to be enabled.
From the dashboard list, select the dashboards to be enabled.
Select the Enable checkbox.
- Click Save.
Disable a Dashboard
To disable one or more dashboards:
Navigate to the dashboard to be disabled.
From the dashboard list, select the dashboards to be disabled.
- select the Disable checkbox.
- Click Save.
Setting a Dashboard as a Favorite
To customize the views in NetWitness Platform, you can set a preconfigured or custom dashboard as a Favorite. The NetWitness Platform dashboard offers all NetWitness Platform dashlets. The Favorite dialog sets a specific dashboard as your favorite dashboard and is listed as favorite every time you log in to NetWitness Platform.
Navigate to any dashboard.
If the favorite icon is red in color, it indicates that selected dashboard is set as a Favorite and is listed on top above the line.
Creating Custom Dashboards
You can create custom dashboards to serve a particular purpose; for example, to represent a specific geographical or functional area of the network. Each custom dashboard is appended to the dashboard selection list.
To create a custom dashboard:
- In the dashboard toolbar, click .
The Create a Dashboard dialog is displayed.
- Enter a title for the new dashboard and click Create.
The new dashboard is displayed as a blank screen.
- Add rows to the dashboard, which can contain one or more columns, using the Add Row option on the right side of the screen (). Click the desired column configuration in the drop-down list to add one row to the dashboard with the selected number of columns. Repeat the process to add more rows.
- You can add any desired dashlets to the dashboard by clicking in an empty placeholder in a row. For complete details on adding and managing dashlets, see Working with Dashlets.
Once custom dashboards are created, you can:
- Switch between dashboards by selecting an option from the dashboard selection list.
- Delete any custom dashboard.
- Import or export a dashboard.
Each dashboard has:
- The dashboard toolbar.
- The dashboard title and the dashboard selection list.
- Zero or more dashlets.
NetWitness Platform uses dashlets to display focused subsets of system information, services, jobs, resources, subscriptions, rules, and other information.
The following table displays the description of each icon on the dashlet.
You can add dashlets to the default dashboard or construct a custom dashboard with your own useful set of dashlets to make your workflow more efficient.
Add a Dashlet
To customize the views in NetWitness Platform, you can add dashlets to a default dashboard or create custom dashboards. However, you cannot add dashlets to preconfigured dashboards.
To add a dashlet:
- Navigate to any dashboard or create a new dashboard.
- Click on the placeholder where you want to add the dashlet.
The Add a Dashlet dialog is displayed.
- Click the Type selection list to view the available dashlets, and select the type of dashlet you want to add. Depending on the type of dashlet you are adding, some configurable fields will be displayed in the Add a Dashlet dialog.
- Type a title for the dashlet. The title can include letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces.
- If there are additional configurable fields for the dashlet, set appropriate values.
- When all required fields have been configured, click Add.
The dashlet is added to the dashboard in the selected placeholder and is automatically saved.
Edit Dashlet Properties
All preconfigured dashlets are read-only and their properties cannot be edited. Other dashlets are editable and allow users to customize some aspect of the data displayed in the dashlet. A dashlet with editable properties has a settings () option that displays all the editing options.
After the dashlets are added, you can drag and drop them and they can be swapped.
A dashlet without editable properties, such as the Live Subscriptions dashlet, does not display the settings option in the title bar. Many dashlets have an editable title where you can edit the following properties:
- Dashlet display title.
- Type of services to monitor; for example, you can monitor only Decoders, or you can monitor Decoders and Concentrators.
Other dashlets have parameters that you define to specify the kind and amount of information you want to see in the dashlet. For example, a Realtime Chart Dashlet has the settings option.
- To display and modify the options for a dashlet, click settings () in the dashlet title bar.
The Options dialog is displayed.
- Edit any of the displayed properties. For example, in an Investigation Top Values dashlet, you can edit the Result Limit from 20 to 40.
- Click Apply.
Some dashlets have configuration options to tailor the appearance or the contents of the dashlet. The following options are available for RE Top Alerts, RE Alert Variance, and RE Realtime Charts dashlets on left-click:
- Hide For 24 Hours: This option allows you to hide the selected value for the next 24 hours. After 24 hours, the data is automatically displayed on the dashlet, if the value is configured and listed on top.
Hide Permanently: This option allows you to hide the selected value permanently until you add it back using the Manage Hidden Values option.
Manage Hidden Values: This option displays a list of all the hidden values. You can select the checkbox for a value and click Remove to view the data back on the chart.
Rearrange a Dashlet
You can arrange dashlets according to your preference by dragging and dropping them into a different order on the dashboard.
- To move a dashlet, hover in the header of the dashlet that you want to move.
The directional cursor appears over the dashlet. Click and hold in the header of the dashlet that you want to move.
- Continue to hold the left mouse button and drag the window toward the new location.
The figure below shows a dashlet as it is being re-arranged.
- Release the mouse button when the dashlet is in the desired location.
The dashlet that currently occupies that position moves down.
Maximize a Single Dashlet
This section explains how to open a dashlet on the entire area of the main NetWitness Platform dashboard with the same dashlet title. Dashlets that have a lot of columns or charts, for example some Reporting dashlets, are easier to view when maximized so that the entire contents is visible without scrolling.
Delete a Dashlet
- Click in the dashlet title bar:
A confirmation pop-up is displayed to confirm if you want to delete the dashlet.
- Click Yes, if you want to delete. The dashlet is removed from the dashboard.
Click No, if you do not want to delete.
Importing and Exporting Dashboards
The ability to customize dashboards to changing circumstances and conditions could result in a large number of dashboards that are not needed on a daily basis. Rather than reinvent the wheel each time you want to recreate a particular custom dashboard, you can export your dashboards that are not currently in use. When you are ready to use a previously exported dashboard, import the dashboard into NetWitness Platform.
Import a Dashboard
- In the dashboard toolbar, click (Import Dashboard).
The Import Dashboard dialog is displayed.
- Browse to the dashboard file in the Import Dashboard dialog. You can import .cfg and .zip files.
- Click Import.
The dashboard is displayed in NetWitness Platform
Export a Dashboard
Exported dashboards are designed to work within the same NetWitness Platform instance. It is also possible to share your custom dashboards with other users in your organization, provided they have equivalent permissions.
To export a dashboard, you must have the dashboard open to access the Export Dashboard option under the Edit drop-down menu in the dashboard toolbar.
- Navigate to the dashboard that you want to export. All existing dashboards appear in the drop-down Dashboard Selection List in the currently displayed dashboard.
- In the dashboard toolbar, click (Export Dashboard).
The exported file is saved in .zip format.
Copying a Dashboard
To customize the views in NetWitness Platform, you can copy dashboards to the NetWitness dashboard or a custom dashboard. The NetWitness Platform dashboard, as the name suggests, offers all NetWitness Platform dashlets. The Copy Dashboard dialog creates a duplicate dashboard, which can be customized. When you copy a dashboard, the default name is prefixed with Copy of. For example, if the name of the original dashboard is XYZ, the default title of the copied dashboard will be Copy of XYZ.
To copy a dashboard:
- Navigate to any dashboard.
- In the dashboard toolbar, click .
The Copy Dashboard dialog is displayed. The following screenshot is an example of copying a dashboard.
- Enter the Dashboard Title.
- Click Copy.
Sharing a Dashboard
In NetWitness Platform, as an administrator you can share dashboards for viewing purposes with other roles such as Administrators, Analysts, Operators and so on. When you share a dashlet, the users can only view the dashboard, make dashboard as favorite, copy the dashboard, and export the dashboard. In case of other roles such as Analysts, Operators, and so on, you can share the dashboard only with similar roles. For example, an analyst can share a dashboard with other analysts only.