Before you can deploy RSA NetWitness® Suite in Azure you need to:
- Understand the requirements of your enterprise.
- Know the scope of a NetWitness Suite deployment.
When you are ready to begin deployment:
- Make sure that you have a NetWitness Suite "Throughput" license.
- Use Chrome for your browser (Internet Explorer is not supported).
Azure Environment Recommendations
Azure instances have the same functionality as the NetWitness Suite hardware hosts. RSA recommends that you perform the following tasks when you set up your Azure environment.
- Based on the resource requirements of the different components, follow best practices to use the system and dedicated storage appropriately.
- Build Concentrator directory for index database on SSD.
Abbreviations and Other Terminology Used in this Guide
|Azure||Azure is Microsoft's public cloud computing platform. It provides a range of cloud services, including those for compute, analytics, storage and networking. You can pick and choose from these services to develop and scale new applications, or run existing applications, in the public cloud.|
Bring your own licensing
|CPU||Central Processing Unit|
|EPS||Events Per Second|
|GB||Gigabyte. 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes|
|Gb||Gigbit. 1Gb = 1,000,000,000 bits.|
|Gbps||Gigabits per second or billions of bits per second. It measures bandwidth on a digital data transmission medium such as optical fiber.|
|GHz||GigaHertz 1 GHz = 1,000,000,000 Hz|
|HDD||Hard Disk Drive|
|IOPS||Input/Output Operations Per Second|
|Mbps||Megabits per second or millions of bits per second. It measures bandwidth on a digital data transmission medium such as optical fiber.|
|On-Premise||On-premise hosts are installed and run on computers on the premises (in the building) of the organization using the hosts, rather than in the Azure.|
|RAM||Random Access Memory (also known as memory)|
|Security||Set of firewall rules. Refer to Deployment: Network Architecture and Ports (https://community.rsa.com/docs/DOC-83050) for a comprehensive list of the ports you must set up for all NetWitness Suite components.|
|vCPU||Virtual Central Processing Unit (also known as a virtual processor)|
Virtual Hard Disk
|vRAM||Virtual Random Access Memory. This is the memory for a virtual machine.|
The following diagrams illustrate some common Azure deployment scenarios. In the diagrams, the:
- Log Decoder receives logs collected by the Log Collector. The Log Collector collects log events from hundreds of devices and event sources.
Concentrator indexes metadata extracted from network or log data and makes it available for enterprise-wide querying and real-time analytics while facilitating reporting and alerting.
- NetWitness Server hosts Respond, Reporting Engine, Investigate, RSA Live, Administration and other aspects of the user interface.
Full NetWitness Suite Stack Azure Visibility
This diagram shows all NetWitness Suite components (full stack) deployed in Azure.
Hybrid Deployment - Log Decoder
This diagram shows the Log Decoder and Archiver deployed in Azure with all other NetWitness Suite components deployed on your premises.
RSA provides the following NetWitness Suite services.
- NetWitness Server
- Admin Server
- Config Server
- Investigate Server
- Orchestration Server
- Reporting Engine
- Respond Server
- Security Server
- Event Stream Analysis
- Log Decoder
- Remote Log Collector