Before you can deploy RSA NetWitness® Suite in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) you need to:
- Understand the requirements of your enterprise.
- Know the scope of a NetWitness Suite deployment.
When you are ready to begin deployment:
- Make sure that you have a NetWitness Suite "Throughput" license.
For packet capture in AWS, you can purchase either of the following Third-Party solutions. If you engage one of these third-parties, they will assign an account representative and a professional services engineer to you who will work closely with RSA Support.
AWS Environment Recommendations
AWS instances have the same functionality as the NetWitness Suite hardware hosts. RSA recommends that you perform the following tasks when you set up your AWS environment.
- Based on the resource requirements of the different components, follow best practices to use the system and dedicated storage Elastic Block Store (EBS) Volumes appropriately.
- Make sure that compute capacity provides a write speed of 10% greater than the required sustained capture and ingest rate for the deployment.
- Build Concentrator directory for index database on the Provisioned IOPS SSD.
AWS Deployment Scenarios
The following diagrams illustrate some common AWS deployment scenarios. In the diagrams, the:
- GigaVUE Series (Gigamon® Solution) is an agent-based solution that uses Tunneling (implemented by the NetWitness Suite administrator) to facilitate packet data capture in AWS.
BIG-IP (f5® Solution) is a load balancing solution that uses a Packet Decoder acting as a sniffer (customized by the NetWitness Suite administrator) to facilitate packet capture in AWS.
- Decoder collects packet data. The Decoder captures, parses, and reconstructs all network traffic from Layers 2 – 7.
- Log Decoder collects logs. The Log Decoder collects log events from hundreds of devices and event sources.
Concentrator indexes metadata extracted from network or log data and makes it available for enterprise-wide querying and real-time analytics while facilitating reporting and alerting.
- Endpoint Hybrid - collects endpoint data. The Endpoint Hybrid comprises of Endpoint Server, Log Decoder, and Concentrator. For more information, see NetWitness Endpoint Insights Configuration Guide.
- NetWitness Server hosts Respond, Reporting, Investigate, Live Content Management, Administration and other aspects of the user interface.
Full NetWitness Suite Stack VPC Visibility
This diagram shows all NetWitness Suite components (full stack) deployed in AWS.
Hybrid Deployment - Decoder and Log Decoder
This diagram shows the Decoder, and Log Decoder deployed in AWS with all other NetWitness Suite components deployed on your premises.
Hybrid Deployment - Decoder, Log Decoder, and Concentrator
This diagram shows the Decoder, Log Decoder, and the Concentrator deployed in AWS with all other NetWitness Suite components deployed on your premises.
You need the following items before you begin the integration process:
- Access to AWS console
- Network rout-able (and proper AWS Security Groups) for the containers to transfer data to the NetWitness Suite Decoder.
RSA provides the following NetWitness Suite services.
- NetWitness Server
- Event Stream Analysis
- Log Decoder
- Remote Log Collector
- Endpoint Server