The Investigate view is the primary entry point to NetWitness Investigate. The Investigate view has six submenus, which open different views that allow you to analyze events from different perspectives. The submenus are: Navigate, Legacy Events, Events (formerly Event Analysis), Hosts, Files, Entities (formerly Users), and Malware Analysis.
The figure below depicts the high-level tasks that you can perform in the Investigate view. This workflow has references to several views that were renamed in Version 11.4: Event Analysis --> Events, Events --> Legacy Events.
You can use the submenu options to move between the different views.
- The Navigate view, Events view, and Legacy Events view offer linkages to each other to look at the current results from a different perspective, which provides some continuity for the investigation as you move between views.
- The Hosts view and Files view integrate NetWitness Endpoint into Investigate, and provide a view of all hosts with a NetWitness Endpoint agent installed and a view of unique executable files found in the deployed environment.
- The Entities view (formerly known as Users view) provides visibility into risky user behaviors across your enterprise using NetWitness UEBA. You can view a list of high-risk users and a summary of the top alerts for risky behavior for your environment, and then select a user or an alert and view details about the risky behavior and a timeline during which the behaviors occurred.
- The Malware Analysis view provides the ability to scan files found in one of the other views or collected by continuous scanning of network traffic.
When you find an event or file of interest, you can perform different actions to continue the investigation on a deeper level: reconstruct and analyze events, export events and files, perform lookups with internal and external resources, and create incidents and alerts.
What do you want to do?
- How NetWitness Investigate Works
- Beginning an Investigation
- Configuring NetWitness Investigate Views and Preferences
- Navigate View
- Legacy Events View
- Events View
- NetWitness Investigate Quick Start Guide
- NetWitness Endpoint Quick Start Guide
- NetWitness UEBA Quick Start Guide
- Malware Analysis User Guide
The Investigate view consists of six views, each representing a different approach to analyzing data. By default, Investigate opens to the Navigate view. You can change the default view to one of the other views as described in Configuring NetWitness Investigate Views and Preferences. See How NetWitness Investigate Works for an introduction to the uses for each view. The first figure below illustrates the submenus under Investigate in Version 11.4. The second figure illustrates the menu in prior versions.