In many RSA Archer implementations, business users require the ability to react to specific events in near real-time. For example, a file containing vulnerability scan results is placed on a network share, and the business wants to ingest the file as soon as it appears. The creation of the file can be unscheduled, and therefore unexpected. Data feeds that perform the ingestion are configured to run every five minutes (or less) in an effort to approximate real-time processing.
This use of minutely data feeds produces several undesirable results. Most notably, the rapid growth of affected system tables. In some cases, this can result in those tables landing in the top 10 by row count and size on disk.
The RSA Archer Data Feed Monitor enables an Archer Administrator to call a data feed only when there is work to do (i.e. records that must be processed), thereby reducing the resource load on the RSA Archer Platform instance.
The RSA Archer Data Feed Monitor is intended to be run through the Windows Task Scheduler at a high frequency (every five minutes or less). When it runs, it checks a pre-configured list of monitors to see if any of them found work to do. Any monitor that finds pending work will call its associated data feed. This results in near real-time data feed execution, but without the expense of spinning up a data feed when there is no work to do. It also avoids the large database footprint associated with frequent data feed execution.
The RSA Archer Data Feed Monitor tool and utility enables organizations to:
- Implement a monitor that can call the data feed only when there is work to do
- Reduce the instance processing requirements
- Reduce the amount of data stored in the database data feed history/log tables
- Improve instance performance
- Leverage the NLog framework to provide control over where and how log messages are written and maintained
Supported Platform Version
The RSA Archer Data Feed was developed for and validated on RSA Archer Platform release 6.8 and above and is available to both on premise and hosted customers.
For More Information
To learn more about the RSA Archer Data Feed Monitor tool and utility:
- Review the Implementation Guide; and Installation Package for RSA Archer release 6.8 and above.
- Review the Implementation Guide and Installation Package for RSA Archer release 6.4 P2.
- Review the Implementation Guide and Installation Package for RSA Archer release 6.3.
For Additional Support
To learn more about this offering, please contact your Account Rep for additional details. For technical support questions regarding this offering, please open a support case or contact RSA Archer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.