Ever since installing SP1, we are finding that users problems are related to the browser now switching to the IE7 standards mode. Flipping the Document Mode to IE9 standards resolves this issue.
However, this is not an issue that existed prior to upgrading to SP1. My question is if anyone else has seen it and if there were any good work arounds. I just finished testing a change in development and implemented into Production, just not sure if this is the best option.
I added the following line to the applications web.config file:
<add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=edge"/>
I used the option edge to instruct the browser to use the most currently available engine. However, its possible I should specifiy IE9 or something (just not sure and this was the easiest).
The correct key is:
<add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=8"/>
As all components of Archer do not correctly function using IE9/IE10 the 'edge' value was not accurate.
Are you using IE 9?... and Archer 5.4 SP1 automatically flips you to IE7 compatibility mode? We are using 5.4 P2 with IE 8- and we are not experiencing the issue you are describing.
Yes, we are using IE 9 and 5.4 SP1.
When we navigate to the site the browser is set to document Mode IE7.
I believe SP1 is newer than P2. Before upgrading to SP1 we were on P1 and had no issues.
5.4 SP1 fully supports IE 9 and IE 10 natively, there is no longer a kick or downgrade to compatibility mode. Having said that, this only applies for the configuration where Compatibility Mode isn't forced or defaulted to. Nothing can be done about that situation.
What is confusing me is why this problem did not exist with any of our prior 5.x installations (our browser configurations have not changed).
Our default setting leaves the "display intranet sites in Compatibility View" checked because of other internal sites that require it. However, this setting allows the browser to identify the correct Document Mode for the site.
For example: Our intranet site is automatically detected to use IE8 Standards and this website (albeit it is external) shows up default to IE9 Standards. The problem we are having with Archer 5.4 SP1 is that compatibility mode is telling the browser to use the IE7 standards. Very odd...
Just figured I would put something out there to the group to see if anyone else running 5.4 SP1 was also having any issues. Or if anyone else would know of any reason I should not add the above value to the web config. For example: I chose the Edge option because I believe I had read that the platform supported IE10 and the edge option simply states 'use whatever the newest engine you have'. But, I could also specify to use the IE9 engine....
Prior to 5.4 SP1, there was logic to kick IE9 and IE10 out of native mode. That has been removed, which means we don't instruct the browser to do anything when Archer loaded. The browser configuration is now going to do whatever it is by default instructed and configured to do. We can't control what that configuration is and aren't attempting to.
Seems like the system should have at least had logic in there to help browsers using compatibility mode to recognize which engine to use. Now the browser reverts all the way back to the oldest engine it has....
Sounds like it went from the extreme of enforcing a mode to not even recommending a mode...?
Actually, I just had a problem using the 'native' (or in my case IE9) engine. Formula Builder is giving me some serious fits!
I type "IF (" and press enter
I select a field from the list to the left. It leaves the right bracket highlight so if I press space to type my condition the bracket is removed. After fixing that I was working on another line and realized I wanted more indent. I pressed the Home key to move to the front of the line and the whole line was instead highlighted. Things really got wierd after that! Switching the system to use Document Mode IE8 standards is resolving the issue.
Not something you want to hear, bit it's listed as a known issue in the release notes.
IE 9 is not compatible with Formula Builder, which causes the edit function to not work. The workaround is to change the browser to IE 8 and run in Standards mode or with the Compatibility View Mode.