Is anyone using version 6.6 yet, even in development? I'd love to hear comments related to bug fixes, new bugs introduced, or issues using the new features. There's a ton of great info describing the new features, but I'd love to hear feedback from customers using it. Thanks!
- Community Thread
- customer feedback
- Forum Thread
- RSA Archer
- rsa archer 6.6
- RSA Archer Suite
So far my experience is not the best one. The upgrade to 6.6 slowed down the performance by a lot, but that could be related to our environment, however, neither of previous upgrades caused me that headache.
Root cause, a lot of reports related to applications with 100k records are failing to load due to the Stored Procedure execution time. E.g. this procedure 'usp_get_object_content_authorization_read' has execution time around 400 seconds on the beast hardware dedicated solely to MS SQL.
I have submitted to support, and in waiting mode. So far nothing helped, even the sp_recompile.
Though, it could be just my experience and other customer have very lovely and smooth way
Hi Margo Brosnan, I tried 6.6 in our development environment. I like the new global search feature, faceted search and the manage columns. These are improvements that will make big impact to users productivity.
I have not experience the performance issue Ilya Khen described. Possibly because I don't have applications with 100k records. Nevertheless I do have concerns with performance issue considering that is our users' biggest pet peeve, such as pushing the save or advanced workflow button that took so long to complete.
We have installed 6.6 in a brand new environment (6 prod, 6 test and 3 dev servers - A net of 10 servers running 6.6 and 5 database servers. Like Wai, this new environment does not have an application with more than 100k records.
The only issue, a minor one, is we cannot change the small icon that appears on the browser tab from the default 'RSA' to our favicon.ico file.
I was able to change it Mike, but it did not happen immediately. After several servers restart, it came to all our users in about week time. So maybe LB cache or something.
Ilya, we had similar slowdown issues going 6.3 to 6.4 with far fewer record counts. Recompiling wasn't helping, ended up with updated stored procedures after getting support involved.
Following for when we get to trying this.
Louis, that is a VERY good comment. Could you please provide your experience on how exactly you updated the Stored Procedures? Reinstalling Archer with DB component did not help me, as I also thought of reinstalling the procedures, but I do not have them at my hands.
A lot of time working with support engineer and his 2nd level support to get updated procedures to use. I don't understand it all, something in 6.4 procedures wasn't liking our environment, made it through lower level testing then appeared in PROD to much user complaint. We will likely need to working with support when get to trying 6.6, skipping 6.5 completely.
Many thanks, Louis! I will go for the long support route then
Much appreciate your sharing. We also did not had issues in QA, and it appeared in PROD only
We are running it in QA and Dev. Some performance hits here too, though I haven't done much troubleshooting. We're loving the new features.
One bug I reported and have had a Jira created that I'm not even sure will affect the average joe much:
- If you go Workspace 1-->Solution 1-->Application 1-->Record-->Workspace 1--Solution 1-->Application 1, it does nothing. It does not refresh the application. If the same solution is in a different workspace, or a different solution in the same workspace with the same application, browsing records from reports then going back to the application, or a different application entirely, there is no issue.