'Changed' event outside of Record Layout
Our users would like to be able to report on the last time an individual Field was changed/updated. For example, if the 'Description' Field has not been updated in the last 6 months, it needs to be reviewed.
The 'Last Updated' field does not meet this requirement, as it captures changes to any Field in the record. The History Log also does not meet this requirement, as it cannot be reported on in a useful way. It is possible to use a DDE to capture the 'Changed' event on an individual Field (like the 'Description' Field), but this approach has a serious limitation: it only captures changes made on the Record Layout. If a user attempts to modify the Field through Inline Edit, they are not allowed to. Further, if the Field is updated through a Data Import, a Data Feed or the API, the 'Changed' event is not triggered.
For what it's worth, I am aware of other tools that allow for system-wide data policies (in other words, "DDEs" are triggered regardless of who modifies the Field or where it occurs in the system).
1. Is anyone aware of a workaround for this?
2. For the RSA Archer product team: are there plans to introduce system-wide data policies in a future release?
- change event
- Community Thread
- Forum Thread
- inline editing
- report filer
- RSA Archer
- RSA Archer Suite
The functionality you asked for can be delivered with calculated fields and can't be delivered with DDEs.
1. Let's say you want to capture a change to the "Description" fields. In this case you can create new calculated field "Description - Last value", and make save the value of the "Description" fields from last Save. Another calculated field "Description - Last Changed" can calculate the date when "Description" value is not equal to "Description - Last value" field. This way you can get a date of when value of the "Description" field changed. Calculation will capture data import changes, user changes and data feed changes.
2. If you have multiple fields you would like to track, you can add calculated fields for all of them and combine and monitor them in one field. For example, "Oldest Change Date" - you can add this calculated field and find the oldest for multiple fields like "Description - Last Changed", "Approval - Last Changed" and so on. Based on this new calculated field you can trigger e-mail notification to the owner of the given record if field was not changed in X months/days/years.
I would not say that this a wide used requirement that Archer should provide this out of the box...
Stan's method works, we have done it as needed for specific fields where changes need to be monitored. Does not scale well to a lot of fields or applications that are still in a lot of configuration flux.
Thank you for such a thorough response. I will give that a shot!
I realize this particular need is not all that common. However, there are a number of related "derivatives" of this requirement that, when summed together, I would have to think do become relatively common. A few examples that immediately come to mind:
- Filtering a Values List is not possible outside of the Record Layout
- Requiring a Field (based on conditions within the Record) is not possible outside of the Record Layout
- Setting a Date is not possible outside of the Record Layout
I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that all conditional actions should be triggered/enforced throughout the entire system/platform. Thanks again for the help.