Formatting issue in Mail Merge Template (Unwanted Space)
I have written a mail merge code as below
But the problem is when i export it i am getting the output in next line for finding field and and Comments and analysis field.
both are Text Area field.
Note :- I have not given any space in both these fields.Archer is automatically taking a space in begining for both of these text Area field.
Ideally the output should be :-
Information Systems Management: Are anti-virus products used and configured with daily definition updates on ?
Risk: Tes critical
Remediation Plan: anti-virus products used
- Community Thread
- Forum Thread
- RSA Archer
- RSA Archer Suite
Which specific area after the TOC I should be looking at?
Also I see you have a lot of merge fields that are using the \!format html switch. That switch is only for text area fields and no other fields. That could be part of the problem.
Sections 1-4 are all text area fields using html paragraph tags and list tags. If you click print on the record the spacing looks fine in the generated pdf but that resulting mail merge removes the paragraph spacing and the proposed workaround on the field adds spacing to the paragraphs and the list items which was not the case when we developed them in 5.5. in that version the mail merge mirrored the spacing of the print button in Archer and that was a major selling point to get people to break their plans down into sections.
This is the second time an upgrade that we tell them improves system functionality has taken something they relied upon away so they are getting pretty frustrated with the system and may start pushing back on any upgrades.
Any help would be much appreciated
If the bulleted items inside of those fields are coming out incorrectly in the mail merge it could be an HTML problem within those fields. You can click on the <> in the toolbar and look for either <ol> or <ul> tags; make sure there isn't any Word specific tags in there. Word's conversion to HTML (via copy/paste) has cause a lot grief.
The mail merge document you attached looks fine except for the sporadic use of the \!format html switches in fields that shouldn't have them; based on the alias names. So I'm wondering if it's the content that's causing the problem.
Looks like the issue is with the actual Word document. I created a record in the BC/DR Plans app and pasted the HTML you gave me in the Purpose field.
This is the results from the mail merge template you posted:
I can see the scrunched spacing between everything.
When I created a brand new Word document and just reference the Purpose field this is the result:
So something in your Word template is removing the spacing between the paragraphs.
Also for the bulleted items, there's <div style="padding-left: 30px;"> (and associated </div>) which is causing the weird spacing between the bullet and the text.
Here's what the text looks like with it removed:
I did not mean the spacing between the bullet and text...i meant the paragraph spacing after the bullet. This is what that used to look like in the mail merge results:
I still think it has to do with the actual Word template.
Create a brand new Word document and just put the merge field in just for Purpose and see if there's a difference.
I already did that using the Mail Merge creator tool and it automatically adds the paragraph space for the entire field which results in the unwanted paragraph space after the list items but it does correct the wanted paragraph spacing after the paragraphs. If i remove the mergefield's after paragraph space setting (which is when it used to work correctly before because I guess it used to bring the info in and apply the html tags as part of the conversion to word) then it scrunches it all together.
I just don't know why this changed when we went from 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 and if you have an old version you should be able to see what I mean.