Migrating on premise Archer to the Cloud
I would say we faced 6 issues when we moved to Cloud:
1. Security. It is potentially accessible for all, so this is a subject to be hacked, while when you are in your Intra premises, you have several additional layers of security and DMZ zone.
2. Latency. When you build in some region, it will downgrade latency for some others. Like building in WestUS may cause issues for APAC. But this is solved over providing either VPN or CDN.
3. Cloud providers may provide some behind the scenes running processes you are not aware. Like they could do scanning or monitoring to enhance user experience, but this will sometimes bother Archer, e.g. when temp Archer files are blocked by scanning process.
4. You would need to get SSL cert up from authorized CA and buy proper DNS name to not have it ridiculously long.
5. There is not special dedicated IT team, you need to buy all support and services from Cloud provider.
6. Privacy. You data is stored in Cloud now. Are they encrypted? Is storing in cloud a subject to be non GDPR or FIPS compliant?
Ilya Khen : What would be the steps/prerequisites if we would need to host a large environment set up)2 web server,1 services server and 1 DB server) on cloud service provider like AWS. Also do you see any additional risks?
You would need to spend costs on AD, DNS, subnets as well, and buying more cores per region would mean additional costs as well The HW specs are the same as in Archer guidelines, though, Scott mentioned that they are not up to dated, but still could be referenced as a starting point.
Also, consider backup mechanisms. I do not actually know what would cost more at the end. And ofc you need consider GDPR when you move all your data to cloud.
Which cloud service provider(aws,azure) would you recommend basis your experience and which would best fit archer requirements in a cheaper way?