Recalculation Schedule stalled
Occasionally, we need to restart our Job Service Engine. We have learned that the daily recalculation schedule can get stalled when this happens.
How can we see or be alerted that the daily recalculation is not operating? How can we get it to work again without manually hitting the Launch Full Recalculation button in each Application and Questionnaire?
Thanks, and how can we get it to work again without manually hitting the Launch Full Recalculation button in each Application and Questionnaire?
Unfortunately, if you by force stopped the JobEngine, it is possible that jobs may get stuck.
Thus, the best course of actions would be to queue the jobs first, wait current to complete and then do restart.
That may also be useful:
Yes, we got to the bottom of that, it had to do with patching the server. It seems every month when patches are applied, our servers stop talking, and a restart is needed. We didn't realize that this also stalled the daily recalc, and now I am concerned that fields we show for past due work are not updating daily.
We don't have a fully automated solution for applying updates to our servers at the moment. This will require a few manual steps to accomplish. The biggest piece to consider is when to reboot the servers to not impact use or perform when there are scheduled tasks. I would recommend working with your IT team to see if the server reboot schedule can be adjusted to better support the application if in fact it is being performed when there are other tasks within the application trying to also run.
In the meantime, I created a new Idea to propose a 'maintenance window' that can be scheduled to allow for this routine task to be performed automatically without all the manual intervention.