Strange behaviour with DDE creation
This may come as shocking news, but Archer appears to be doing something a little strange & unexpected.
I have created a rule for a DDE & a linked action & saved them both. I went to test this DDE, but it did not appear to fire. When going back to the rules listing to look into the rule, it is not listed. However, when I look at the associated action, the rule is listed, under the associated rules section at the bottom.
To try & get around this, I created the rule again, exactly the same criteria, exactly the same name. However when I try to save it, I get a message telling me that the rule already exists, even though it is not listed. If I change the name of this new rule & then save, the original rule now shows in the listing of rules.
I have noticed this behaviour a few times when creating DDEs in both questionnaires & applications.
Has anybody else seen anything like this? I am using v5.5 SP3 HF1, hosted.
I'm starting to wonder if Archer is just having a bit of a laugh at my expense.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go.
I am using IE, run into Silverlight issues using Chrome. Users will also be using IE, so I want to ensure that I see things the way they will.
Just an update on this issue.
I tried as you suggested & ran Silverlight & deleted application storage, still hit the issue.
I also tried using a different browser (Chrome) & found that I was unable to put any capital letters into any area within Archer, be that field name, field description, DDE settings.
I think I might just have to put this one down to another Archer "feature", that crops up from time to time.
Sounds like something is corrupt behind the scenes.
I experienced something similar but it wasn't DDE, it was something else. I want to say notifications or something.
But, this occurred after an upgrade to a new version.
I even deleted the original. It didn't even show up in the list at all and when I tried adding it back, I still had issues.
You said you tried recreating using the same name... Have you tried just using a new naming convention(at least for this rule/action combo)?
The last time it happened, I went on & created another two rules with actions associated with them, again, they did not appear in the rules listing, but could be seen as being associated with an action. Clicking on the rule name from the action, brought me briefly to the screen to create a new rule & then the dreaded "Unexpected error".
So creating further rules didn't refresh the listing. The only thing that seems to do this, is trying to recreate an existing, but unlisted rule. When doing this, the message "rule name already exists" pops up, so I save the duplicate using a different name & then back in the rules listing, the original previously unlisted rule, is shown.
It's almost as if the rule has been partially created, but during the process to create it "behind the scenes" Archer has become distracted & gone away to do something else. In trying to create a rule with the same name a second time, this is acting almost as a reminder to Archer & it finishes the job.
This is a hosted environment, so I'll raise a ticket with support. Trouble is, this issue doesn't happen all the time, therefore it can't be recreated at will. The next time I get the "unexpected error" I shall send that to support & see if that helps.
I have seen something similar to this secondary problem you're describing. After upgrade, it appears some workflow notifications are corrupted. So, 1) the notifications don't fire, and 2) Archer errors-out when attempting to edit the problem notification so there's no opportunity to observe or repair the problem. The workaround is to recreate the notification (hopefully there is an example handy) and delete the corrupted one. I believe this is a known problem they're working to fix.
I have not experienced the strange DDE behavior.