When to Rebuild Search Index?
It is strongly recommended to perform a rebuild after one of the following:
- An Instance database was backed up and restored into another environment.
- Archer Platform was upgraded.
- Quick Searches are no longer working for new records.
Some other things to consider for indexing:
- For best performance, have the Search Index File Location local to the Queuing Server like C:\ArcherFiles\Index. Share this folder path like \\MyServer\Archer\Index and update the Search Index Path in the ACP with the UNC path. This prevents issues from things like DNS name resolution, share permissions, network latency, etc.
- On the Queuing Server, verify the virus protection software excludes the Search Index File Location from scanning.
- If the Queuing Server also handles the Job Engine and/or Web processes, you may want to consider dedicating a server for the Queuing Service.
- Ensure the Queuing Service is only running on one server. All other servers should have the service disabled.
If the Rebuild Search Index button doesn't work in the Archer Control Panel (ACP), check out KB https://community.rsa.com/docs/DOC-45540?sr=search&searchId=aacd2116-0f79-492c-b484-09968d8ce824&searchIndex=0.
Jeff, if you have to keep performing the more extensive search index rebuild procedure above, what is the underlying cause for quick search not working for new records / tblSearchMessageQueue keeps growing (not shrinking)? Keep having to rebuild in this way doesn't seem like a permanent fix.
1. Apart from the 3 points mentioned under the strongly recommended points I believe we should also perform indexing post a major packaging installation.
2. Post major Data Migration.
3. And as a best practice we should perform indexing at least once weekly. At least we used to follow while using 5.x instances.
Are the above statements still valid with 6.2 and onward?
Arnab there should be no reason to purposefully rebuild the searching index once a week. What are you seeing search wise that would warrant weekly rebuilding?
This was recommend by a RSA engineer long time back while using 5.x instances.
That's why I asked whether it's still valid in 6.2.
And could you please tell me whether point# 1 and 2 are still valid too?
First of hearing of doing a re-index weekly. Even back in the 4.x days I never had to do a re-index unless the Queuing service went belly up and that was rare.
For point 1; Even though packaging may include new or updated calculations that will force a recalculation of records which in turn would add the records to the queue for indexing to pick them up. So ideally you shouldn't need to do re-indexing after installing a package.
For point 2; when doing any bulk import of records, they should've been added to the queue for indexing to pick them up and process. So in my experience re-indexing isn't needed.
You can reach out to support (ArcherSupport@rsa.com) and confirm either way.