EnVision Database transfer
Hi, I need to move an Envision 4 single appliance (standalone solution) database off the existing attached DAS2000 storage unit to another larger network connected storage space. Is there a white paper on how to do this? The size of the database is currently 3 TB. Anyone done this before? Suggestions / issues / main steps. Thanks
-BACKUP AND TEST THE BACKUP-
1)setup the new storage as drive X: (or other unused letter)
2)stop all the NIC services
3)copy the entire contents of the e: to the new storage system.
4)Go into the appliance's 'Disk Management' tool and change the old e: drive letter to y: then change x: to e: and start your services.
Once everything is working for a while consider removing the y: drive contents and using it as a backup repository.
Contact Support and they will give you the procedure for doing this move. I used lsmaint and moved my data using the procedure provided.
Basically, I switched over to the new storage. Used lsmaint to move the data by device type so it wasn't too much at once and then did a rebuild because I did want to make sure the indexes were all correct.
To close off, we received good feedback from both EMC, RSA and other enVision users on storage option alternatives. In the end the strategy I used in addressing the growth in log data was to:
Review event sources:
- identify the device sources that are sending the highest number of event or syslogs
- review the reasons for the high numbers and correct for any misconfigurations (tips - debug option left on, audit policies, logging all antivirus scanning object access, logging policy inconsistent with application behaviour on servers)
- for those true high usage servers review risk and log retention policy to see if purge tasks could be tuned to keep less (e.g. test servers)
Adding another storage appliance:
- there is a way to add additional DAS2000 appliances although we didn't pursue this
- fyi - during discussions it was mentioned that opening the appliance server and adding HBA cards could be a warranty problem
Reclaiming unused space in existing DAS2000 (EMC acknowledges but doesn't endorse this):
- besides log file tuning, we reclaimed some space from the drives reserved for the AX150SCi Flair OS
- we used the Navisphere Express GUI to define another disk pool out of drives 0-4, then defined another virtual disk which was assigned to the server
- on the server side we used manage disks to create a new drive and the enVision application to add the new managed storage location