JDBC instead of ODBC
I have q request to allow enVision to collect logs using JDBC connection instead of ODBC or additionally to ODBC. There are several reasons:
- JDBC is easier to manage (no need to install client, you just have to copy .jar file or files)
- support for all major DBs may be included out-of-the-box, without necessity to install client (ie. Oracle client)
- less probable compatibility problems between clients.
Many thanks for this suggestion.
Although JDBC looks very interesting can't we immediately use it as a query method. As we all know does the enVision appliance use Windows as a base OS. As such, ODBC has been inherited as a basic instrument and used within the appliance architecture for multiple reasons one of them is ofcourse performance.
JDBC looks certainly an interesting option for our future collectors and we will investigate it as a potential requirement.
However, in the interest of utilizing this board to its fullest, I would strongly recommend that the user base (you)ensure their desires on JDBC be heard loudly by product management (by repetition, further posts, more reasons, etc) so that they understand the importance of it from your perspective.
I will echo Alan's comment... we need to better understand your requirements and especially your use cases so that we can work to meet them in future releases. This is the place to provide feedback -- all of the enVision product managers regularly access this community. It's also a place to share knowledge with and learn from each other.
If others besides gstefan would prefer JDBC instead of ODBC, please chime in!
I am writing once again to point out three other reasons to implement JDBC (as alternative to ODBC):
- it does not look "professional" for some customers to install i.e. Oracle client on appliance.
- RSA may allow connecting virtually all databases, without necessity to install anything on appliance,
- from developer perspective it looks pretty simple to implement!