Small bug with renaming of custom dashboard reports
NOTE: A bug fix has already been submitted to enVision engineers for this, so please don't re-submit. I'm posting this as an FYI so others are aware of the temporary workaround.
v3.5.2 Build: 0170 (I'm not sure if this applies to other versions or not)
Issue: It was observed that when renaming a custom dashboard report where the rename action is only changing the case sensitivity of the letters, enVision would error out and then completely drop the custom report from the "Overview, System Configuration, Dashboard Items, Dashboard Reports" tree view page on the left.
Example: Say you have a custom report called something like "Admin Account Lockouts - 15 min" and you decide you want to capitalize the "min" so it appears as "Admin Account Lockouts - 15 MIN". When you make the change and save it, enVision will error out with "An unexpected error has occurred. Please refer to logfile: e:\nic\3502 <hostname>\logs\pi_webserver.log for more details. Dashboard Report object not found for report name: <new report name>". Then, when you refresh the list on the left, your report that you just renamed is completely gone. Ouch!!!
The temporary workaround: Apparently this is a problem with case sensitivity changes only, so if you rename the report to something that includes a new carachter and save it, you can go through and rename it a second time to what you really want it to be.
You start with this: Admin Account Lockouts - 15 min
Rename it to: Admin account Lockouts - 15 min XYZ
Then rename that to: Admin account Lockouts - 15 MIN
Oh yes, I almost forgot... if you've already nuked your reports by accident and you've stumbled onto the forum here looking for how to get your report back... relax, I documented that also. Here's what I did....
1.) Stop all services.
2.) Locate the report's XML file which should be located in the E:\%envision%\etc\Reports\Custom\Dashboard directory and rename it back to what it was originally called before the incident occured.
Yes, I make a big assumption here that you know what it was called, exactly, with case sensitivity, otherwise you're kinda hosed. You may still be able to go to the Manage Dashboard page and find your report listed there in the Name column as whatever it was before you renamed it. For somereason that page still had mine listed and served as a good reference point.
3.) Start all services.
Quick update... the case I opened with engineering is still open, I've received several updates indicating they are still researching this issue and working on a fix., my last update was oct 9th.
In the meanhwile, I also discovered another bug of similar nature, and added it to the case. In summary,
there is a character limitation of approximately 64 characters when naming a Custom Dashboard Report. That, and the web GUI doesn’t seem to perform any level of error checking on data input. As long as you keep it under 64 at all times, the web GUI operates fine, allows for creation, modification, renaming, etc. However, if you create a new report with a name exceeding 64 or you copy one and as a result the "Copy of" being pre-pended to the front of I pushes the count above 64 characters, then the following behaviors are observed (on my 3.5.2. version, possibly others)
1.) like in the first bug, upon clicking next in GUI Walkthrough, you get that same error, "report name ~whatever~ can't be located, reference your pi-Webserver.log file."
2.) like the first bug, the report disappears from the Dashboard Reports page, but can still be found over in the Manage Dashboard page and you'll notice that the Name is always truncated to exactly 64 characters.
There's no way to clean it out of the Manage Dashboard page either. At least none that I'm aware of.
I think they added this bug report to the previous case that I already had open, since the symptoms and indications are very similar.
If you experience similar symptoms, stop taking enVision and call your doctor immediately, as continued use may cause severe headaches. Errr... rather... call tech support and let them know that it might be related.
hope this helps,
I've received word that the bug with case sensitivity changes to Custom Dashboard Reports has been fixed in 4.0, but the other bug with Dashboard Reports in excess of 64 carachters or more has not been resolved and "will be addressed in later versions" (read: a long ways down the road in some galaxy far far away). As such, my case with engineering has been closed. However, there was one residual side affect from both of these two bugs that still needed to be addressed... How to clean out Orphaned Dashboard Reports found on the Manage Dashboards Page. If interested, you can read about that here.