Announcements

SecurID® Discussions

Browse the SecurID discussion board to get product help and collaborate with other SecurID users.
ClediusIngram
Beginner
Beginner

Are the RSA SecurID tokens considered intrinsically safe for NEC Class I, Div 1 or Div 2 areas (no potential for spark)?

Jump to solution

Are the RSA SecurID tokens considered intrinsically safe for NEC Class I, Div 1 or Div 2 areas (no potential for spark)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdwardDavis
Employee
Employee

I will summarize by saying, no, we do not have certification for hardware tokens and NEC Explosive Gas Area Classifications. RSA Sales would be the team to check with for more details or specifications on authenticators.

SID700 is completely environmentally sealed, and has these published compliance/conformities

Tamper evidence: Conforms to ISO 13491-1; ISO DIS 13491-2:2005
Product safety standards: RoHS, WEEE, CE, cRoHS,
Regulatory standards: FCC Part 15 Class A and Class B, EN55022
Class A and Class B

For NEC Class I Iocations I do not think we have any certification.

You would need to reach out to RSA sales to see if there is more information about this, but the spec sheet for sid700 doesn't go into anything further than FCC compliance (electronics emissions) and hazardous substances.

RSA SecurID Hardware Tokens | Two Factor Authentication 

https://www.emc.com/collateral/data-sheet/rsa-secureid-700-authenticator-ds.pdf 

The SID700 would likely need the metal keyfob tab removed, and a static strap attached to ensure it's plastic housing is not a static discharge point. It has an internal battery as well, and in all my years I have not heard of a token catching fire or exploding, but still, what I write here about it is not NEC HazLoc compliant wording...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
EdwardDavis
Employee
Employee

I will summarize by saying, no, we do not have certification for hardware tokens and NEC Explosive Gas Area Classifications. RSA Sales would be the team to check with for more details or specifications on authenticators.

SID700 is completely environmentally sealed, and has these published compliance/conformities

Tamper evidence: Conforms to ISO 13491-1; ISO DIS 13491-2:2005
Product safety standards: RoHS, WEEE, CE, cRoHS,
Regulatory standards: FCC Part 15 Class A and Class B, EN55022
Class A and Class B

For NEC Class I Iocations I do not think we have any certification.

You would need to reach out to RSA sales to see if there is more information about this, but the spec sheet for sid700 doesn't go into anything further than FCC compliance (electronics emissions) and hazardous substances.

RSA SecurID Hardware Tokens | Two Factor Authentication 

https://www.emc.com/collateral/data-sheet/rsa-secureid-700-authenticator-ds.pdf 

The SID700 would likely need the metal keyfob tab removed, and a static strap attached to ensure it's plastic housing is not a static discharge point. It has an internal battery as well, and in all my years I have not heard of a token catching fire or exploding, but still, what I write here about it is not NEC HazLoc compliant wording...