Do I need to use a hardware token as a seed for the other tokens in my deployment?
Submitting a support ticket on behalf of a team member:
"Basically I want to ask RSA if I need to use a hardware token as a seed for the other tokens in my deployment or if the seed that comes with the software for the hardware tokens is all that is needed. If I need to use a hardware token as a seed, then I need to know what the procedure is to do that."
Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Users who you want to challenge for authentication need tokens. These can be hardware tokens. software tokens or on-demand tokens delivered via SMS or email. Such tokens can be purchased directly from RSA or from your reseller.
- Once you have received the token seed records you Import a Token Record File into the Authentication Manager primary.
- Next, if you re using software tokens, create one or more Software Token Profiles, for the different devices and/or delivery methods.
- Once the tokens are installed in the database, you would Assign Tokens to Users.
- If you assigned a hardware token, follow the steps on how to Distribute a Hardware Token.
- If you assigned a software token, follow the recommended steps on Software Token Distribution.
- Before importing their software token seeds on their devices, users with software tokens would download the RSA SecurID Software Token application for their device from the respective application store, such as Apple's iTunes, Google Play or BlackBerry World.
- Once the user receives the software token file or download string, she imports it onto her device
- Now, with either a hardware token or software token, our user tries to login to the corporate VPN or to a web site and provides her user name and tokencode displayed on the token or in the app. This starts the New PIN process where the user created her PIN and then authenticates with it.
- A successful authentication is shown below.
Please let me know if this answers your questions or if you need more information.