Announcements

SecurID® Discussions

Browse the SecurID discussion board to get product help and collaborate with other SecurID users.
DanyFernandes
New Contributor
New Contributor

Upgrade 7.1 to 8.2

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having a 7.1 appliance coming end of life so I've installed a new cluster with 2 virtual machine running on version 8.1. As I'm aware, the recommanded version is 8.2 Patch 3.

My question is about the migration export utility. Should I run it now and import the database to the 8.1 new cluster and then upgrade it to 8.2 P3 ? Or can I upgrade first to 8.2 and then export the data ?

Also, does anyone as a documentation about the use of the export utility? I have some troubles understanding how it works as discribed on the migration guide. 

Thank you very much for your help.
Best Regards,

Dany

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdwardDavis
Employee
Employee

Hello,

7.1 sp4 or higher can only migrate to 8.1 (any).

We suggest 8.1 sp1 patch 15 as the target since it has all current patches and is the best version to try a migration.

Then, an 8.1 sp1 patch(any) system can be patched up to 8.2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You basically do this:

install 8.1 sp1, then sp1 patch 15.

[make a backup now, pre-migration, so you can revert to a clean state if you need to re-do it or are testing....]

Inside the patch15 zip file are the migration tools needed.

Put the migration tools (files) on the 7.1 system and follow the steps in the 7.1-8.1 migration guide

on creating the export file needed to install the 7.1 data on 8.1 sp1 patch 15.

RSA Authentication Manager 7.1 to 8.1 - Migrating to a New Hardware or Virtual Appliance 

All the details are in the above guide, but the cliff-notes version here:

-copy the migration utility files over, one is a big jar file

-run the installer, this inflates the utility but doesn't do any migration yet

-then run the exporter, this shuts down 7.1 and makes the backup file which is the migration package

There are two modes. Test and Production, these two are meant to cleanly migrate a large 24x7 environment with no data loss and no user interruptions. But if you can handle a maintenance window, a single test migration is typically 'good enough'.

The first migration attempt is called test, and it is a full migration and can only be restored

to a single 8.1 primary. If this 8.1 primary has replicas, they will be cut off. You can add replicas

after the test migration. You can just do one test migration if you want and be done.

The next migration is called Production. This was intended that you already did a test, checked it out for a while

to verify it went over well and whatnot...liked it, and now want to catch up with the last days or hours the 7.1 system was up to,

and want to migrate those last little bits. Production migration gives you the option to retain the 8.1 settings (and keep any replicas it has).

And it also stops the 7.1 system and leaves it stopped (it can be started back up though).

For larger 24x7 deployments....There are also procedures to go to each remaining 7.1 replica (now  that the 7.1 primary is down) and migrate those last

bits from the replicas (logs and user lockouts/pin resets...anything a replica might have changed since it's primary was shut down)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
EdwardDavis
Employee
Employee

Hello,

7.1 sp4 or higher can only migrate to 8.1 (any).

We suggest 8.1 sp1 patch 15 as the target since it has all current patches and is the best version to try a migration.

Then, an 8.1 sp1 patch(any) system can be patched up to 8.2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You basically do this:

install 8.1 sp1, then sp1 patch 15.

[make a backup now, pre-migration, so you can revert to a clean state if you need to re-do it or are testing....]

Inside the patch15 zip file are the migration tools needed.

Put the migration tools (files) on the 7.1 system and follow the steps in the 7.1-8.1 migration guide

on creating the export file needed to install the 7.1 data on 8.1 sp1 patch 15.

RSA Authentication Manager 7.1 to 8.1 - Migrating to a New Hardware or Virtual Appliance 

All the details are in the above guide, but the cliff-notes version here:

-copy the migration utility files over, one is a big jar file

-run the installer, this inflates the utility but doesn't do any migration yet

-then run the exporter, this shuts down 7.1 and makes the backup file which is the migration package

There are two modes. Test and Production, these two are meant to cleanly migrate a large 24x7 environment with no data loss and no user interruptions. But if you can handle a maintenance window, a single test migration is typically 'good enough'.

The first migration attempt is called test, and it is a full migration and can only be restored

to a single 8.1 primary. If this 8.1 primary has replicas, they will be cut off. You can add replicas

after the test migration. You can just do one test migration if you want and be done.

The next migration is called Production. This was intended that you already did a test, checked it out for a while

to verify it went over well and whatnot...liked it, and now want to catch up with the last days or hours the 7.1 system was up to,

and want to migrate those last little bits. Production migration gives you the option to retain the 8.1 settings (and keep any replicas it has).

And it also stops the 7.1 system and leaves it stopped (it can be started back up though).

For larger 24x7 deployments....There are also procedures to go to each remaining 7.1 replica (now  that the 7.1 primary is down) and migrate those last

bits from the replicas (logs and user lockouts/pin resets...anything a replica might have changed since it's primary was shut down)

Hi Edward,

Thank you very much for those information, it's very helpfull.

I'll try as soon as I can and give you a feedback about the migration.

Best Regards,

Dany.

0 Likes