RSA Admin

4.1 migration - database compact requirement - not pleasant to discover

Discussion created by RSA Admin Employee on Apr 27, 2012
Latest reply on May 9, 2012 by Guy Williams
Would it be possible to have written in the 4.1 Migration documentation (PDF file) the requirement about the nic.db file having to be less than 500 MB in order to proceed with the upgrade, so that we don't learn about it during the upgrade process? After shutting down all the envision processes and waiting a few minutes, disabling antivirus (as recommended by the migration guide), starting the upgrade process and getting that prompt where you need to specify your existing password for all the envision accounts (which you enter twice in order to confirm no typos), then selecting NEW passwords for all those account (twice again), and having to change the passwords you selected because the system does not like certain special characters, you get hit by a screen that tells you that your nic.db is over 500 MB and needs to be compacted before proceeding, and to look at the online help to find out what to do next. Wondering if I had missed this, I did a search in the Migration document afterwards and do not see anything written about this requirement. Please let me know if this is written in the document anywhere as I can't seem to find anything about it. Alternatively it would have been better if the installer would have checked the size of nic.db at the very beginning instead of at that point in the installation process.

Outcomes