AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is the proper method to upgrade Authentication Manager 8.0 to 8.2 with a primary and single replica?

Question asked by Gary Rogers on Nov 28, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 by Darren Gaunt

I am migrating Authentication Manager on both my primary (8.0) and replica instance (8.0). I upgraded my primary instance as follows: 8.0->8.1->8.1 SP1->8.2. My replica instance seemed to be replicating correctly all the way through the 8.1 SP1 install. After upgrading 8.1 SP1->8.2, I received the "internal replication error" on the primary (as to be expected as described in other discussions here). The replica is still at 8.0 and I started to upgrade using a similar path (8.0 -> 8.1 -> 8.1 SP1 -> 8.2); however, it seems like I cannot update my replica due to a fatal error that replication isn't running. Upon viewing my logs, I get the error "incompatible replica error". So I'm at a catch22 that I can't replicate because the replica isn't 8.2, but I can't upgrade to 8.2 because it isn't replicating. 

Is there an upgrade path moving forward for the replica? Or should I just abandon the current replica, and redeploy an 8.2 replica?

Also, would the proper steps have been to upgrade the primary, then replica, to the next version (upgrade both from 8.0->8.1, then upgrade both from 8.1 -> 8.1 SP1), slowly making my way from 8.0 to 8.2?

Thanks,

Gary

Outcomes