In our AM (8.3 P01), we run a report that should show all logins for the previous week. The last few days we have run it, we have noticed that not all logins are showing up. When we pulled up the Dashboard view for a user that we know logged on this morning, the Dashboard reported that the last login was 10/9/18. When we went into that user's assigned token (there is only one assigned token for this user, BTW), it also showed the last login time as 10/9/18 but we know that it is incorrect. I tried flushing all cache objects in the Operations Console but when running the report or viewing the user's Dashboard, we still see the same last login time of 10/9/18.
Hoping someone here might know a solution.