AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advantages using the Role Collector to manage roles vs native managing roles through Roles tab?

Question asked by Christopher Smith on May 20, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2019 by Mostafa Helmy

Hello,

This question was originally brought about by 2 different business cases I have run into at work that are not satisfied by the native Roles tab management.

First: generating an audit report regarding all the role changes made over a specific date range.  I can generate this report however I can not provide the Role ID as the OperandID (affected Role) in my change request, as far as I can find, does not match any ID in any other table.  SourceType = RoleManagment

Second: We are trying to provide Role Owners with a self-service role modification ability.  We want the role owners to be able to only modify access or modify members within the role at a given time.  We have an established modify membership process, via Buttons on the user's dashboard, in place and we want to keep the membership and access modification processes separate.  In a perfect world, I would like to make a button next to the membership modification button on a role owner's dashboard for modifying entitlements.

With both of these scenarios, it seems the Role Collector would provide an effective solution with Role Versions and creating a button for role modifications.  Is there an advantage for managing roles within the system via the Roles tab?

Outcomes