Announcements

SecurID® Discussions

Browse the SecurID discussion board to get product help and collaborate with other SecurID users.
PhilDoyle
New Contributor
New Contributor

rsaadmin password reset on 8.4

Hi

I have started the upgrade process on a customer primary/replica setup running on an A130 appliance at 8.4.

Naively I assumed the password for rsaadmin would be the same for both devices, and the customer expected that it was too - however it is not!

Is there a process to reset the password on 8.4? Can I break in to single user mode on bootup and use passwd for example? Ive searched around and none of the solutions seem relevant. 

Thanks

0 Likes
8 Replies
PiersB
Trusted Contributor Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Please contact customer support. They can walk you through a supported process of resetting the rsaadmin password. It should be noted that physical access to the machine is required, but it sounds like that should not be a problem.

0 Likes
David
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Phil,

To get into single mode you'll have to:

1) Log into the Operations Console and reboot the appliance (Maintenance > Reboot)

2) When the screen turns with green background, type on your keyboard to add an option at the bottom of the screen : init=/bin/sh and boot the system

3) At this step, you are logged-in

4) Enter passwd command, and you're done !

Kind Regards,

David

0 Likes

Unfortunately when the device reboots, there is no green screen - the OS select screen is white text on black background - and when you type there nothing happens.

0 Likes
PiersB
Trusted Contributor Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I don't think you'll find this process alters the correct partition. 

I would again recommend the customer work with RSA Customer Support.

0 Likes
David
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Phil,

Try by hitting the 'e' key (stands for 'edit'), then it should lead you to the GRUB details.

There, find the line starting with 'linux', and add ' init=/bin/sh' at the very end of this line.

Then : <Crtl>-x   to boot the system with the modified parameter (this will not be saved, don't worry)

Now, you are in single mode with a Read-only filesystem mounted.

So, follow these steps :

1) mount -o remount,rw /

2) passwd rsaadmin

3) reboot your appliance (you may have to use the physical button for this)

Upon reboot, you should be able to log in with the changed password.

Kind Regards,

David

0 Likes
PhilDoyle
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unfortunately support have only provided an offer of a screen share so far, and the customer does not allow remote access.

In the example above, do I need to point grub at /sbin/ for init, as at the grub CLI init is not listed as an available command. Only initrd is possible.

0 Likes
David
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Phil,

When the appliance boots-up, you are getting to the OS selection screen, with white text on black background.

On that screen, before the countdown ends, you have to hit the 'e' key, and then you can edit the options :

RSA Grub.png

Kind Regards,

David

DavidAllison
Respected Contributor Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you don't have access to the power switch (hardware) or the power cycle button (VMWare), you can reboot in single-user mode using the following command:

exec /sbin/init

init 6, shutdown -r and reboot do not work in single-user mode.

0 Likes